Manual installation of Xbox 360 Receiver Drivers.
There have been several complaints about the error in my blog stating that installing the Xbox 360 receiver drivers just by launching the executable does nothing or that users do not have a “Microsoft Controller” class that they are capable of choosing from. This addendum documentation is to provide a manual install of how to install the Xbox 360 receiver drivers without ever having to install them onto your computer.
Download the driver we will be using for this tutorial.
This archive which is approximately 8Mb in size contains both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the Xbox 360 receiver driver. Click here to download the archive or click on the icon to the right of this paragraph to begin.
Notes about driver modification.
The archives were changed from a .zip file to a .7z or 7-zip file. Also, all versions of the Xbox driver have been consolidated into a single 7-zip archive as an all-in-one download solution. All procedures remain the same as you can extract with WinRAR down below.
The first thing you will want to do is get a copy of WinRAR or 7-Zip. Any package that is capable of extracting 7-zip files. (if you downloaded the .EXE file from the Microsoft website you may right-click on the .EXE and click “Extract files” to follow along.)
Notes about the archive:
In the following example above we will be extracting everything in the C:\chinaxbox\ folder. This archive contains the following files:
- Xbox360_32EnG – This is the 32-bit version of the Xbox Driver for those working with Windows 7 32-bit, Windows 8 32-bit, and finally Windows 10 32-bit.
- Xbox360_64End – This is the 64-bit version of the Xbox Driver for those working with Windows 7 64-bit, Windows 8 64-bit, and finally Windows 10 64-bit.
- Xbox360_Mod_XP – This version is made specifically for Windows XP 32/64 bit and Windows 7 32/64.
The Xbox360_Mod_XP folder modifies the following line entry on lines 65-66:
;China receiver mod by S-Config 10/2/2015 %XUSB21.DeviceName%=CC_Install, USB\Vid_045E&Pid_0291
This not only works on Windows XP to get the driver installed but eliminates the annoyance of having to reload the driver every time you unplug your wireless receiver and plug it into a new port. The downside of this modified driver is it breaks the signature and thus doesn’t work on Windows 8 and Windows 10 unless you disable signature enforcement.
In this example we will be extracted to the root of the C: Drive. You can place it anywhere so long as you remember the location of the Xbox360 installation folder.
- Click on the start button at the bottom left corner of your Windows screen to access the start menu.
- Right-click on “Computer” and then click on “Manage.”
- If you have not already done so. Plugin your Xbox 360 Wireless receiver adapter from China and it should show up as just an Unknown Device.
- Right-Click on “Unknown Device” under the Other Devices tab and then click on “Properties.”
For XP and Windows 7 xusb21.inf mod:
Alternatively, you can click the Browse button and manually navigate to the folder if you unzipped it to a different location than I did.
If you see this and there are no errors in your original device manager after you click on the close button. Then you are set and you may proceed back to the original blog dealing with the installation of the Xbox 360 Receiver adapter for the PC.
END OF LINE+++